In Trump’s Dying Days, Guantánamo Review Board Approves Yemeni Prisoner for Release

16.12.20

On the left: Said Salih Said Nashir (aka Hani Saleh Rashid Abdullah), a Yemeni prisoner at Guantánamo who has just had his release approved by a Periodic Review Board. The other men are Moath al-Alwi and Omar al-Rammah, who, unfortunately, had their ongoing imprisonment upheld by PRBs, nearly three and four years respectively since their hearings took place.

Please support my work as a reader-funded journalist! I’m currently trying to raise $2500 (£2000) to support my writing and campaigning on Guantánamo and related issues over the next three months. If you can help, please click on the button below to donate via PayPal.




 

I wrote the following article for the “Close Guantánamo” website, which I established in January 2012, on the 10th anniversary of the opening of Guantánamo, with the US attorney Tom Wilner. Please join us — just an email address is required to be counted amongst those opposed to the ongoing existence of Guantánamo, and to receive updates of our activities by email.

In the three years and eleven months since Donald Trump’s inauguration, there has been — until now — no good news from Guantánamo. That first piece of good news, reported by NPR on December 11, is that Said Salih Said Nashir, a 46-year old Yemeni held at Guantánamo without charge or trial for 18 years, has been unanimously approved for release from the prison by a Periodic Review Board.

Consisting of a panel of military and intelligence officials, the Periodic Review Boards were established by President Obama, to review the cases of men held at Guantánamo who had not been recommended for release by Obama’s first high-level review process, the Guantánamo Review Task Force.

The task force’s report — recommending 156 prisoners for release, 36 for prosecution, and 48 for ongoing imprisonment without charge or trial — was issued in January 2010, but by the time the PRBs took place, beginning in November 2013, just 41 of the 48 men recommended for ongoing imprisonment without charge or trial remained: two had died, and five others — high-ranking Taliban officials — were freed in a prisoner swap.

In addition, 23 of the 36 men recommended for prosecution by the task force were made eligible for the PRBs instead, largely because the trial system chosen for the Guantánamo prisoners — the military commissions — was collapsing under legal challenges, as some of the handful of convictions secured since the commissions were contentiously dragged back to life from the history books had been overturned on appeal, with judges ruling — as the government had been warned — that most of its charges, including the most common charge of providing material support for terrorism, were not in fact war crimes.

In Obama’s last three years in office, the PRBs reviewed the cases of all 64 of these prisoners, and in 38 cases recommended the men for release, with all but two of them released before Obama left office. The 26 others — accurately described as “forever prisoners” by the mainstream media — have continued to have their cases reviewed by the PRBs under Donald Trump, but, with a commander in chief who tweeted, even before he took office, that “there must be no more releases from Gitmo,” no one was recommended for release until this latest news came through, and, for the most part, the prisoners boycotted the process, having concluded that it had become meaningless.

Recommended for release

Said Salih Said Nashir (also identified as Hani Saleh Rashid Abdullah) broke with this trend, attending his PRB hearing last November, and on October 29 (in a decision not known until last week) the board, “by consensus, determined that continued law of war detention is no longer necessary to protect against a continuing significant threat to the security of the United States.”

The decision was long overdue — but the delay is, sadly, typical of the exaggerated sense of caution that has typified bureaucratic assessments of the prisoners’ significance throughout Guantánamo’s history.

In Nashir’s case, he should have been recommended for release after his PRB hearing in April 2016. As I reported at the time:

He is one of a group of six men seized in house raids in Karachi, Pakistan on September 11, 2002, on the same day that alleged 9/11 co-conspirator Ramzi bin al-Shibh was seized, who were then sent to CIA-run torture prisons for six weeks. They were initially regarded as recruits for a specific terrorist attack, although the government has long since walked away from this claim, as became apparent when the first of the six, Ayub Murshid Ali Salih (ISN 836), had his PRB in February, and was approved for release last month.

Crucially, the government conceded that, although the six Yemenis were initially “labeled as the ‘Karachi Six,’ based on concerns that they were part of an al Qa’ida operational cell intended to support a future attack,” it had become apparent that “a review of all available reporting” indicated that “this label more accurately reflects the common circumstances of their arrest and that it is more likely the six Yemenis were elements of a large pool of Yemeni fighters that senior al-Qa’ida planners considered potentially available to support future operations.”

In the months that followed, all the other members of the non-existent “Karachi Six” cell were also recommended for release, and all five men were subsequently released, although they all had to be resettled in third countries, because of a long-standing prohibition against repatriating Yemeni prisoners, based on the security situation in their home country. One of the five was sent to Cape Verde, two others were sent to Oman, and the other two, unfortunately, were sent to the United Arab Emirates, where, instead of the freedom they were promised, they have been subjected instead to ongoing imprisonment and abuse in secret prisons.

Nashir, meanwhile, had his ongoing imprisonment approved in November 2016, and although a follow-up hearing was swiftly scheduled, in December 2016, the board reached the same decision in January 2017, and he then had to wait until last November for another opportunity to persuade the board that he didn’t pose a threat to the US.

At that hearing, his attorney, Charley Carpenter, who has represented Nashir since 2005, reminded the board that Hani, as he knows him, “is a relatively simple, perhaps naive, man, not given to artifice or scheming,” who finds the hearings “highly stressful,” and sought to address concerns the board had raised in 2016 about his client’s past activities, which he had clearly spent some time investigating.

His contributions, and that of his fellow attorney, Steve Truitt, evidently helped to persuade the board to approve Hani’s release, with the board members stating in their decision that they had “considered [his] low level of training and lack of leadership position in Al Qaeda or the Taliban, [his] candor regarding his activities in Afghanistan and with Al Qaeda, and [his] efforts to improve himself while in detention, to including taking numerous courses at Guantánamo.” They also noted “the ability and willingness of [his] family to support him in the event of a transfer, [his] credible plan for supporting himself in the event of a transfer, and significant improvement in [his] compliance since his last hearing in 2016.”

In conclusion, the board members recommended “the following condition[s] that relate to the detainee’s transfer: robust security assurances to include monitoring, travel restrictions and integration support, as agreed to by relevant USG departments and agencies.”

Speaking to NPR, Charley Carpenter called the decision “recognition, as we’ve always thought, that continued imprisonment of this man doesn’t help the national security of the United States.”

Carpenter added that the process to date was “a long odyssey — and it isn’t over yet,” but pointed out that it “means that a significant hurdle in his effort to go home has been cleared.” As he also explained, he is “optimistic that the incoming administration will renew efforts to move people out of the prison [at] Guantánamo.”

Nashir now joins five other men approved for release under Obama, but not released before Trump took office — two men approved for release by the PRBs, and three approved for release by the Guantánamo Review Task Force.

What needs to happen now

Whatever else may happen with Joe Biden and Guantánamo — whether, for example, he ends up with control of Congress and is prepared to spend political capital to finally close the prison — it seems pretty clear that NGOs and lawyers will exert pressure on him to release the men already approved for release, and also to recognize a need to act on what I described above as “the exaggerated sense of caution that has typified bureaucratic assessments of the prisoners’ significance throughout Guantánamo’s history.”

While Said Nashir waited nearly a year for the PRB’s decision in his case, others have waited even longer for decisions, suggesting that the board was seriously conflicted about whether to recommend release or ongoing imprisonment. Moath al-Alwi, a talented artist known for his extraordinary models of sailing ships made out of discarded materials, last had his case reviewed on March 27, 2018, and the board didn’t deliver its decision until October 29 this year — the same day as Nashir’s decision — although in al-Alwi’s case they recommended ongoing imprisonment, as they also did in the case of Omar al-Rammah, a Yemeni seized in a dubious mission in Georgia in 2002, whose hearing took place on February 9, 2017.

Even putting aside for a moment the unacceptable delay in delivering decisions in these cases (nearly three years and four years, respectively), it remains clear to those who are able to step back from Guantánamo’s institutionalized sense of caution that neither of these men has committed crimes that, in any other circumstance, would justify nearly 20 years’ imprisonment, and the same is true of other men still held, whose perceived dangerousness seems to relate primarily to their perceived attitude in custody, or to disputed assessments of their significance — men like Khalid Qassim, Asadullah Haroon Gul and Saifullah Paracha, to name just three.

I will be writing more about these and other cases in the coming months, but for now I’d like to leave you with the notion that Joe Biden needs to move swiftly to appoint an official to deal with Guantánamo, to secure the release of prisoners, and to assess how to review prisoners’ cases in a way that is more appropriate than the PRBs.

* * * * *

Andy Worthington is a freelance investigative journalist, activist, author, photographer, film-maker and singer-songwriter (the lead singer and main songwriter for the London-based band The Four Fathers, whose music is available via Bandcamp). He is the co-founder of the Close Guantánamo campaign (and see the latest photo campaign here) and the successful We Stand With Shaker campaign of 2014-15, and the author of The Guantánamo Files: The Stories of the 774 Detainees in America’s Illegal Prison and of two other books: Stonehenge: Celebration and Subversion and The Battle of the Beanfield. He is also the co-director (with Polly Nash) of the documentary film, “Outside the Law: Stories from Guantánamo” (available on DVD here, or here for the US, or you can watch it online here, via the production company Spectacle, for £2.55), and for his photo project ‘The State of London’ he publishes a photo a day from eight years of bike rides around the 120 postcodes of the capital.

In 2017, Andy became very involved in housing issues. He is the narrator of the documentary film, ‘Concrete Soldiers UK’, about the destruction of council estates, and the inspiring resistance of residents, he wrote a song ‘Grenfell’, in the aftermath of the entirely preventable fire in June 2017 that killed over 70 people, and he also set up ‘No Social Cleansing in Lewisham’ as a focal point for resistance to estate destruction and the loss of community space in his home borough in south east London. For two months, from August to October 2018, he was part of the occupation of the Old Tidemill Wildlife Garden in Deptford, to prevent its destruction — and that of 16 structurally sound council flats next door — by Lewisham Council and Peabody. Although the garden was violently evicted by bailiffs on October 29, 2018, and the trees were cut down on February 27, 2019, the resistance continues.

To receive new articles in your inbox, please subscribe to Andy’s RSS feed — and he can also be found on Facebook (and here), Twitter, Flickr and YouTube. Also see the six-part definitive Guantánamo prisoner list, The Complete Guantánamo Files, the definitive Guantánamo habeas list, the full military commissions list, and the chronological list of all Andy’s articles.

Please also consider joining the Close Guantánamo campaign, and, if you appreciate Andy’s work, feel free to make a donation.

10 Responses

  1. Andy Worthington says...

    When I posted this on Facebook, I wrote:

    Here’s my latest article, responding to the good news that Said Nashir (aka Hani Abdullah), a Yemeni prisoner at Guantanamo (on the left in the photo), has been approved for release by a Periodic Review Board, after 18 years’ imprisonment without charge or trial. The PRBs were set up under President Obama, and approved 38 prisoners for release between 2014 and 2016, but this is the first such decision to take place under Donald Trump — just before he leaves office.

    Unfortunately, the two other men in the photo — Moath al-Alwi and Omar al-Rammah, two other Yemeni prisoners — had their ongoing imprisonment approved by PRBs, nearly three and four years after their last hearings took place, and for reasons that seem to rely not on any notion of justice, but on an institutionalized sense of caution. The decisions to continue holding these men are unforgivable after all this time, and the board’s delays in delivering their decisions are also unacceptable.

    It is to be hoped that Joe Biden will not only release Nashir (and five other men long cleared for release), but will also urgently overhaul the review process so that genuinely insignificant prisoners like Moath and Omar can also be freed.

  2. Andy Worthington says...

    Susan McLucas wrote:

    Such great news! A light in the darkness! Hopefully the darkness will not overcome it!

  3. Andy Worthington says...

    Yes, well said, Susan. I am pretty sure that significant pressure will be exerted on Joe Biden to move towards securing the release of the six men now approved for release who are still held. It’s not even as though he needs to secure support from Congress. What he does need to do is either to revive the role of the Envoy for Guantanamo Closure in the State Department, or to set up a new role within his administration with responsibility for Guantanamo.

  4. june cutright says...

    thnx andy. for sticking w this job +for keeping me tagged +informed when i’m not always twittering +theres just too damn much bad news to follow – june the bugger ha

  5. Andy Worthington says...

    Thanks, June. Great to hear from you, and I’m glad you’re happy with the tags, especially, as you note, with so much bad news in the world. I have to say, however, that I have genuinely enjoyed watching the fall of Trump. Every day the idiotic media used to report whatever spewed forth from his damaged brain, and now it’s like a blissful silence has descended. Not that I’m counting on Biden to offer much, but at least he’s not Trump.

  6. Anna says...

    May it lead to his actual release within a foreseeable future. That would also give some fresh hope to the other ones. Here’s Canada once more being &%^£* : https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/18/i-have-nothing-else-uighur-man-fights-to-join-family-canada
    But the lawyer’s explanation suggests that Canada might soon not have a shred of any argument at all to refuse this Uyghur (and maybe also the two other ones) to reunite with their families in Canada. Apart from morality, the absurdity & utter lack of consistency in their handling of the Uyghur drama is appalling. However, another sliver of hope…

  7. Andy Worthington says...

    The situation with the Uyghurs is such a disgrace, Anna, and yes, it doesn’t seem that the Canadian government can keep on being so horribly obstructive. What particularly struck me was that the ETIM “is not on Canada’s list of ‘terrorist entities and organisations'”, and that the US has also “delisted the ETIM from its list of ‘terrorist organisations.'”

  8. Anna says...

    And yet another one joining the long list of seriously ill GITMO prisoners.
    One of the two remaining Afghans possibly has cancer. Obviously without a proper diagnosis, let alone treatment.

    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/19/afghan-detainee-at-guantanamo-prison
    Hard to genuinely celebrate Christmas with what’s still and increasingly going on in the rest of the world.

  9. Andy Worthington says...

    Let us hope that those advocating for seriously ill prisoners to be allowed emergency medical treatment on the US mainland prevail under Biden, Anna – although a lot of it’s going to depend on who wins the last Senate seats.

    As for Christmas, yes, it’s hard to celebrate when there’s so much injustice – and on Covid, of course, the gulf between the west and the rest of the world is already being established: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/09/nine-out-of-10-in-poor-nations-to-miss-out-on-inoculation-as-west-buys-up-covid-vaccines

  10. Andy Worthington says...

    Spanish readers can find the article here, courtesy of the World Can’t Wait’s Spanish website – ‘En los últimos días de Trump, el junta de revisión de Guantánamo aprobó la liberación de prisoners’: http://worldcantwait-la.com/worthington-ultimos-dias-de-trump-guantanamo.htm

Leave a Reply

Back to the top

Back to home page

Andy Worthington

Investigative journalist, author, campaigner, commentator and public speaker. Recognized as an authority on Guantánamo and the “war on terror.” Co-founder, Close Guantánamo and We Stand With Shaker. Also, photo-journalist (The State of London), and singer and songwriter (The Four Fathers).
Email Andy Worthington

CD: Love and War

The Four Fathers on Bandcamp

The Guantánamo Files book cover

The Guantánamo Files

The Battle of the Beanfield book cover

The Battle of the Beanfield

Stonehenge: Celebration & Subversion book cover

Stonehenge: Celebration & Subversion

Outside The Law DVD cover

Outside the Law: Stories from Guantánamo

RSS

Posts & Comments

World Wide Web Consortium

XHTML & CSS

WordPress

Powered by WordPress

Designed by Josh King-Farlow

Please support Andy Worthington, independent journalist:

Archives

In Touch

Follow me on Facebook

Become a fan on Facebook

Subscribe to me on YouTubeSubscribe to me on YouTube

The State of London

The State of London. 16 photos of London

Andy's Flickr photos

Campaigns

Categories

Tag Cloud

Afghans in Guantanamo Al-Qaeda Andy Worthington British prisoners Center for Constitutional Rights CIA torture prisons Close Guantanamo Donald Trump Four Fathers Guantanamo Housing crisis Hunger strikes London Military Commission NHS NHS privatisation Periodic Review Boards Photos President Obama Reprieve Shaker Aamer The Four Fathers Torture UK austerity UK protest US courts Video We Stand With Shaker WikiLeaks Yemenis in Guantanamo